How do I set up and use Mail Filters?
The Mail Filters Options main page displays a table of filters that you currently have implemented (if any). You may Edit or Delete them by clicking the appropriate links.
To add a new Mail Filter:
- Click the Create a New Filter button.
- Specify the filter conditions.
- Select a field (From, To, Cc or Subject).
- Select the condition (contains, does not contain, starts with, ends with).
- Type in the text the filter should recognize (a particular username, a certain domain name, whatever is unique and common to the messages you wish to filter).
- Select the folder to which this filter will move messages.
- Click the Save button to implement the new filter.
You will be returned to the Mail Filters main page, where your new filter will be displayed in the table, available for use, to Edit or Delete.
Note: You can change the order in which the filters run by clicking the up or down arrows in the Move column. The ones that appear first, or higher, on the list, run before those below.
Why is the order important?
As a message arrives at your email account, the filters you have created will monitor the message to see if it matches any of the conditions you specified. Only one filter at a time can scan the message, so you must establish an order for them to perform.
What difference does it make?
Usually none at all. But if you have filters that relate to each other, their order becomes critical. For example, if one filter specifies that all messages from your office email domain (yourcompany.com) go into a folder called Office, and another filter specifies that all email from your boss (firstname.lastname@example.org) goes into a folder called Priority, the "boss" filter would have to run first. Otherwise, the "office" filter would take all the "yourcompany.com" messages, including the boss' emails, and place them in the Office folder. Then, when the "boss" filter ran, there would be no messages for it to process (because your boss' emails had already been transported off to the Office folder and are no longer available for the boss filter to check).